Thursday, April 30, 2009

Impressions

The day Jacob was born (before I went into labor) my mother was sharing with me her journal entry from the day I was born and the days following. It was so special to me to be able to hear what the experience was like for her and her first impressions of me. I don't think it was any coincidence my mother shared that entry with me the day Jacob was born. It has left such an indelible impression on me and a deep desire to provide a record for my children. While my journal writing still leaves a lot to be desired it has markedly improved since that experience.

Almost like a confirmation and motivation to continue diligently writing in my journal. The speaker in church on Sunday spoke about impressions. She shared many entries from her journal about the impressions she had of her children as they were growing up and the impressions she had that brought her back into activity in the church and ultimately led to her husband's conversion. As she shared those carefully recording feelings I couldn't help but feel extremely grateful that I was working hard to record my own impressions. While my journal entries are far from poetic or organized... they are often choppy, (it's hard to edit an entry after it's written in pen... truly adds new appreciation for the prophets who had to record on gold plates. I can't imagine how carefully they must have thought out each entry before even beginning.) at least they are recorded.

This desire to be better about my journal writing also goes so well with my new years resolution to daily record three things that made me truly happy. My somewhat belated response to President Eyring's urging to Remember ! My hope and desire is that I will develop more faith in the Lord. To have a record of God's dealings with me.

A wise teacher I had a Rick's college gave me one piece of advice before I left on my mission. She said, there are miracles to be seen every day-- if you look for them.

As I've made an effort to recognize and record these daily impressions, I have noticed I'm quicker to turn to the Lord with my problems, I'm happier, and more peaceful. I am better able to remember.

4 comments:

ej said...

First of all, thank you for all of your comments, advice and sympathy about the Taiwan trip and move, it means so much more coming from someone who actually knows what I am talking about!
Secondly, I have been handwriting in a journal since I was in 7th grade and with each new baby I would start a new journal opening with their birth story which has been a fun tradition. Along those lines though, it KILLS to write so much when journaling is the only time that I do and I have so much to write, and as you mentioned, lot's of mistakes etc. Anyway, for the first time ever I have hesitantly started keeping a journal on my laptop. When I get enough I am going to print it and bind it like the others. I will have to let you know how it works out! And good for you for keeping up with it, you won't regret it, esp. with kids!

Kristin said...

Thanks for the needed inspiration. I love to journal but have been a little lax in that endeavor as of late. It is good to be reminded to be grateful, to look for miracles or tender mercies from the Lord and to write them down. I am going to try to do better!

Nephi and Ruby Jensen said...

Such wisdom and insight. Keep up the great writing!! I know you are enjoying motherhood...aren't babies a wonderful blessing from heaven.

Just Only Me said...

What a neat post. And I love the pictures of the little guy, I can't wait to meet him. I'm glad that things are going well.